RMOUG Minutes 9-24-2001






A regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the above corporation was held on September 24, 2001 at 7:04 a.m. at Englewood, Colorado.


I.  QUORUM.  A quorum was declared present based on the presence of the following Directors:


Stanley Yellott

Mark Molnar

Rich Baca

Jenny McGurk

Dan Filkins

Elizabeth Boss

Debra Addeo

Allison Leech

Rick Hata

Tim Gorman


Also in attendance:

Heidi Kuhn


The following corporate actions were taken by appropriate motions duly made, seconded, and adopted by the majority vote of the Directors entitled to vote (unless a higher voting approval is stated).




A.  Report by Jenny McGurk.

Jenny McGurk reported that she took over the Treasurer information in mid-July.  Irene had everything in Quicken and Barb Nadorff has everything in Quickbooks.  Heidi and Barb keep track of all the income which the Treasurer has all the expenses.  Jenny is going through everything so that she can run expenses by chairs.  Membership renewals are down from last year.  There is about $33,000 in checking.  Quarterly Meeting, Newsletter, and Training Days payments are coming up.  The Golf Tournament made about $80.  The Board discussed ways of selling RMOUG memberships more and also watch our costs.


B.  Report by Elizabeth Boss.

Elizabeth Boss reported that she has a copy of the next mailing.  It will go out around Oct. 12, 2001.  The Board discussed wording on the extended training sessions.


Elizabeth also reported that only 33 abstracts have been received so far.  We can do over 50 presentations.  Elizabeth asked Board Members to please contact people for presentations.  She e-mailed the speakers from last year.  Debra mentioned that we have always extended the abstract deadline by a week.  To help cut down on last minute cancellations, it was decided to charge the speakers for the conference if they don’t speak.


The cancellation policy for Training Days was discussed.  There is a 50% refund up to Feb. 4th.  After that it’s completely non-refundable.  The Board thought it best to defer the refund policy to when the food has to be ordered.


Registration fees are the same this year for early and standard registration.  It was decided to offer Proceeding Manuals and CDs for all registrants.  Late registration, however, will go up by $20, making the price after February 4th $320 for members and $370 for non-members.  All non-members will automatically get a one year membership to RMOUG.  If we have to, we will look into other ways to save money like not offering pad folios.


We only have 11 vendors signed up.  Although YCC makes money on soliciting vendors, Elizabeth would like the Board Members to help get more vendors.  Right now only 2 sponsorships have been sold.  We need Gary Dodge’s help in getting Oracle Sponsorships.


There are seven volunteers signed up to be Track Coordinators.  For judging papers, Elizabeth is going to send all volunteers the abstracts and then have YCC tally up the totals.


Debra Addeo signed the contract with YCC for 2002 Training Days.


C.  Report by Debra Addeo.

Debra Addeo reported that she has been working  with Jan Schmidt with Thwate for getting a secured server for the RMOUG web site so we can accept credit cards.  It has involved getting an SSL from Verio for $50 and then getting a Duns & Bradstreet number.  We have the number, but the names are wrong.  She is still working on updating the information.


For the web site, Debra has been working on getting a new password.  Anyone who needs it will have to talk to Debra.


We now have a Java virtual machine at Verio, but we’re still running into space problems.  She will look into the cost of acquiring more memory.


D.  Report by Tim Gorman.

Tim Gorman reported that he is culling the DTC area because the Tivoli is unavailable for Fridays in November.  He is leaning towards the Holiday Inn at Belleview and I-25 for Friday, November 9th.  RMOUG does not need to provide lunch or parking.  The cost is $500 for a room for 190 people.  The catering costs are pretty reasonable.  We need Audio-Visual equipment.  We need to get the meeting announcement flyer out around Oct. 10th.  Tim’s going to try and work with SIGs from Rick’s newsletter groups.  Would like a rep from each SIG.  He is also going to start working with Metro for holding the May2002 meeting at the Tivoli.


E.  Report by Dan Filkins.

Dan Filkins reported that there are three things we need to look at for membership; declining membership, fee structure, and the YCC contract.  Right now we’re not sure what’s going to happen with membership because of the economy and the results of the recent terrorist attacks.  The fees are very reasonable, but membership is going down.  There are 343 unpaid members who will be inactivated on Friday, Sept. 28th.    We need to advertise our user group more, especially to other user groups like Java and XML.  For fees we need to go backward and get a handle on expenses.  We need the accountant to give us a rolling cash flow.


Mark Molnar reported that he has received the latest round of issues to be resolved on the contract.  The long distance carrier rates are $.078 a minute to forward to an 800 number.  He will check into who is responsible for the fee.  He is working on conversion of the database.  YCC is going to convert the Oracle database to Access.  Mark needs a new dump of the database.  YCC will send a copy of the database monthly to a person specified by the Board.  The Invoicing terms need to be clarified as far as being totally separated from Training Days.  The Board discussed things like tracking reasons for joining RMOUG and how new members heard about us.  We’ll worry about adding those things later.  Hopefully we’ll get a final copy of the contract by mid-week for Board approval.  It would be nice to turn over everything by the 1st of October.


F.  Report by Rich Baca.

Rich Baca reported that he would like to get e-mail feedback on the awards for the different volunteers for the Newsletter, Training Days, Meetings, and Speaker of the year.


G.  Report by Rick Hata.

Rick Hata reported that EPS digital looked into the printer doing the mailing for us.  The cost is $670 to mail, including postage.  Discussion ensued about the volunteer aspect of doing a bulk mailing and also about the company being bonded.  It was decided to do the next mailing with the volunteers and think about the issues with the printer for the following newsletter.  Rick is working on a contract with EPS Digital.  There is only 1 advertiser for the Winter issue of the newsletter.  The Fall issue should be going out in the next few weeks.


H.  Report by Allison Leech.

Allison Leech reported that she is trying to get students more involved.  She will e-mail information to the Board list server.


III.  NEXT MEETING.  The next meeting of the Board of Directors will be held on October 29, 1901, at 4:30 p.m., at to be determined


There being no further business, the meeting was duly adjourned.





Rich Baca