RMOUG Minutes 9-13-2007

MINUTES OF THE
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
OF
ROCKY MOUNTAIN ORACLE USERS GROUP

A regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the above corporation was held on September 13, 2007, at Englewood, Colorado at 5:19 p.m.

I.  QUORUM.  A quorum was declared present based on the presence of the following Directors:

Bill Schwartzkopf
Peggy King
Ron Bich

Call in:  John Peterson
Chip Briggs
Allison Leech

Also in attendance:
Heidi Kuhn

The following corporate actions were taken by appropriate motions duly made, seconded, and adopted by the majority vote of the Directors entitled to vote (unless a higher voting approval is stated).

II.  REPORTS.

A.  Report by Peggy King.
Peggy King reported that she would like everyone to let her know what they have coming up.  Bill Schwartzkopf will be out of town October 4-8th, Ron Bich will tentatively be out of down December 15-25, and Heidi will be in San Francisco for Oracle OpenWorld November 9-14.

Peggy also reported that the Scholarship Fund committee held a meeting and came up with the application criteria:

Stan Yellott Scholarship Fund

Eligibility Requirements:

  • Registered or the intent to register at an accredited post secondary educational institution in the United States
  • Minimum GPA 2.5 from a current official transcript
  • Currently enrolled in a computer science/information technology class and/or intends to enroll in a computer science the following term

Application:  Must be received by November 2, 2007.  Award notification will be given within 45 days following application deadlines.  Upon acceptance of the scholarship, additional information may be required.

Send to:
Stan Yellott Scholarship Fund
c/o RMOUG
PO Box 621942
Littleton,  CO  80162

1)  Name                                                                                                                       

Address:                                                                                                                       

City:                                                                State:                              Zip:               

Phone:                                                               Email:                                                  

2)  Written Recommendation from one or more faculty members should be sent to the above address by the application deadline.

3)  Application Statement:  Statement of why you should receive this scholarship in 250 words or less:

The dates for this year’s scholarship application deadline will be slightly different.  The committee will plan another meeting to go over the processes and who we want on the review committee.  Starting in 2008, the deadlines will be March 15th and September 15th.

Peggy also reported that she joined an IOUG conference call.  She told them that we can send out e-mails, but we would not give them e-mails of TD attendees.  IOUG can discount University Sessions but haven’t set an exact discount.  Participants must register prior to on-site.  IOUG will also give TD participants an “offer code” that will include in the advertisement in the conference bags.  We can cross-check names if they want.

For Training Days 2008, we have 30 presenters so far with 48 abstracts.  It is down from last year and the Board discussed extending the deadline.  If there are less than 100 abstracts, we’ll extend out two weeks.  If more than 100, then we’ll extend out one week.  The person from the Linux fest would like to come back.  There will be a Training Days meeting later this month.

For new business, the Board felt that RMOUG should sponsor the Pine Creek students at Training Days in honor of Stan Yellott.  We will keep that separate from the Scholarship fund.  Bill and Peggy will adopt a policy for the scholarship and the Pine Creek students to add to the RMOUG Policies and Procedures.  Heidi will send policy information to the Executive Board for review.

B.  Report by Bill Schwartzkopf.
Bill Schwartzkopf reported that he would like to know how RMOUG’s finances are doing.  Heidi said that an account for Stan Yellott was set up with $6000 that came from checking.  There is around $89,000 in checking and $92,000 in savings.  Kirit will be starting on the non-profit application later this month.

C.  Report by Allison Leech.
Allison Leech reported that she has five different people submitting articles for the next newsletter.  There is one book review.  She has not heard from Vendors about newsletter ads.  The article deadline is the end of the month.  Allison is looking to the Board to step up and make the newsletter worthy of winning awards.  Allison has sent a list of things she needs from the Board and would like a response from them even if it’s that they are unable to help for the next issue.  She would like information on the calendar of events.

Allison would like to get in contact with Linda Yana who is the Oracle Regional Marketing Director about advertising.  She will contact Ann Horton about newsletter articles.

Allison would also like to have something about the Stan Yellott Scholarship information.  Dan Fink is working on a brochure for the scholarship.  Allison would also like to have an Educational Spotlight and she is thinking she will start with CU Boulder, then have a different university in the next newsletter.

  • Report by John Peterson

John Peterson reported that he is hoping to find a financial aid counselor to help with the Stan Yellott Scholarship Fund information.  He thinks the quotes from the flyer than Dan Fink is putting together would make good advertisement.  The Scholarship committee met and developed the criteria on who is eligible for the scholarship.  The first scholarship will be done on paper since there is not enough time to do a web application.  John will put together a blast to send to the announcement list server.  John will put together a mock-up application and make it a .pdf for Heidi to send to the membership.

  • Report by Ron Bich

Ron Bich reported that he would like to know who from COAUG has submitted to TD 08 so he can contact those who said they would like to submit.  We would need ten abstracts to get a track for one day.  He is hoping that people from Oracle will also submit abstracts.

  • Report by Chip Briggs.

Chip Briggs reported that he is in contact with the Storage Networking group.  He would like to put together a questionnaire for Heidi to send out about the response for a Fall Training in Sept/Oct for Colorado Springs and Fort Collins.  The Board talked about holding a Quarterly Educational Workshop in Castle Rock.

 

 

 

 

III.  NEXT MEETING.  The next meeting of the Board of Directors will be held October 11, 2007 at Data393 at 5:00 p.m.

There being no further business, the meeting was duly adjourned.

 

_______________________________________
Jon Arnold
Secretary