RMOUG Minutes 9-08-2008

MINUTES OF THE

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING

OF

ROCKY MOUNTAIN ORACLE USERS GROUP

 

A regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the above corporation was held on September 9, 2008 at 5:10 p.m.

 

I.  QUORUM.  A quorum was declared present based on the presence of the following Directors:

 

Ron Bich

Peggy King

Linda Seley

John Peterson

Niklas Iveslatt

Allison Leech

Barbara Lewis

Kathy Robb

Connie Shafer

Pat Van Buskirk

 

Also in attendance: Heidi Kuhn

 

 

The following corporate actions were taken by appropriate motions duly made, seconded, and adopted by the majority vote of the Directors entitled to vote (unless a higher voting approval is stated).

 

II.  REPORTS.

 

A.  Report by Ron Bich.

Ron Bich reported that he would like to keep the Board on track by getting reports done before the meeting so we can move through agenda items in a timely manner. He would like the Board members to continue with their sharing guidelines. He also wanted the Board members to look at the By-Laws before initiating a committee. He would like them to specifically look at section 3.8:

 

3.8        Committees.   The Board of Directors,  by resolution adopted by a majority of the Directors or Officers may designate and appoint one or more committees, each of which shall consist of at least one Director, which committees, to the extent provided in the resolution, shall have the authority of the Board, except that no such committee shall have the authority of the Board in reference to amending, altering, or repealing the Bylaws; electing appointing, or removing any member of any such committee or any officer Director of the Corporation; amending the Articles of Incorporation; restating the Articles of Incorporation; adopting a plan of merger or adopting a plan of consolidation with another corporation; authorizing the sale, lease, exchange or mortgage of all or substantially all of the property and assets of the Corporation;  authorizing  the  voluntary  dissolution  of  the Corporation or revoking proceedings therefore; adopting a plan for the distribution of the assets of the Corporation; or amending, altering, or repealing any resolution of the Board of Directors which by its terms provides that it shall not be amended, altered, or repealed by such committee.  The designation and appointment of any such committee and the delegation thereto of authority shall not operate to relieve the Board of Directors or any individual Director of any responsibility imposed upon such Director by law.

 

Ron also reported that he would like a Board Member to take the lead on researching the benefits and adherence research to our new Non-Profit status. Peggy agreed to take the primary volunteer lead on the research and give us guidance on:

  • Financial
  • Membership benefits
  • Vendors
  • scholarship

 

Ron also reported that he would like the board email issues to get back on track. He would like emails to the entire board be used when someone is looking for feedback. All other emails can use the admin@rmoug.org or direct emails so we can cut down on the amount of unnecessary emails.

 

Ron would also like the mission statement on the website to be updated to reflect the non-profit changes. Other areas of the website also need to be updated. Peggy felt that it would be good to do an overall facelift of the website. She thought that there might be a software program to help. Pat Van Buskirk has been using DreamWeaver and the board wondered if Adobe would be wiling to donate the software to RMOUG. It was decided that each Board member should look at their area of the website and look at verbiage that could be identified for changes for the next Board Meeting. Things to especially look at would be Non-Profit red flags. It was suggested that a college student might be able to help with website content.

 

B.  Report by Peggy King.

Peggy King reported that she would like everyone to review their personal calendars and let her know when they are unavailable. Peggy will resend the link to the Google Calendaring tool so everyone can update it. She would also like all Board members to choose two goals to accomplish for their term and send them to Peggy so she can help them keep tabs.

 

Peggy also reported that the Training Days page on the website needs to be updated. She would like the front page to be more pronounced for the Call for Abstracts.  She would also like clear expectations for RMOUG and partner promotions, so she thought it would be a good idea to come up with guidelines so there is a single point on contact. She would like Allison to take notes on the Steven Feuerstein Workshop so we can keep track of the steps and be consistent in future events.

 

Peggy also reported that there is a change in the Training Days team in that Pat Van Buskirk is also going to help oversee management.

 

C.  Report by John Peterson.

John Peterson reported that we have not received any applications for the Sept 15th Scholarship deadline yet. The Board agreed to extend the deadline to October 17th and Heidi will send out another blast. The Board also thought they might need to revisit the deadline. Peggy will send John the scholarship selection criteria.

 

John also reported hat he felt that it would be a good idea to create a Chairman of the Board position which could be held by the past president as a strategic member of the board and keeper of group history. This position would also give us guidance, especially to new Board Members. The objective is to have the “Big Brains” give us help on the forward plans. The Board talked about reviving the Past President’s Advisory committee. The board thought it would be good to extend an offer to them to attend a special dinner at Training Days.

 

D.  Report by Niklas Iveslatt.

Niklas Iveslatt reported that he is reaching out to other user groups. He would like other Board Members to send him contacts so he can get a resource page going. He would like to cross reference with other user groups like RMIUG and AITP student group.

 

E.  Report by Kathy Robb.

Kathy Robb reported that she created a letter for Board review and would like to get more input. There are non-member companies listed on the web page, and she would like to invite them to become members. She would like to send information on the next Quarterly Educational Workshop.

 

Kathy Robb also reported that she would like to work on getting IBM< Microsoft, Sun, and HP liaisons for vendor support.

 

F.  Report by Allison Leech.

Allison Leech reported that she has a meeting set up with the Metro State College of Denver representatives to do an on-site visit. At the last meeting, we had 113 registrations. She is finishing up everything for the current newsletter. The next newsletter should come out in December, right before Training Days, and the content would focus on Training Days and go light on articles.

 

For the Steven Feuerstein Workshop, RMOUG is helping get the facility, but we are not responsible for catering. We will be advertising on the Announcements list server.

 

G.  Report by Barbara Lewis.

Barbara Lewis reported that we can probably delete unnecessary files so we can be well under the 20 gig for extra backup costs. For the mailman issues, the lead tech at Data393 thinks the system needs to be rebooted. He rebooted it and would like everyone to see if their emails are working again. Barbara might need to contact them once a month to check on rebooting. She checked into the google emails and was hoping we could hold off. There is an account for $50 a month, and the Go Daddy account was also cheap.

 

Barbara also reported that the Resources and About Pages have been updated by Pat Van Buskirk. The Shared Roll Committee meeting will be held on Thursday the 11th at Broadway and Belleview. The committee will work on a shared roll template and will be composed of Peggy, Ron, Barbara, and Pat.

 

The Prod 2 has been installed and is running. The members site is on hold because we don’t have any volunteer with time to put together the site. Barbara will look at software and would like to know what we need for a members-only site. If anyone has suggestions, send them to her for the October 16th meeting.

 

Barbara also reported that the University of Phoenix might want to partner with us on some projects.

 

Barbara also reported that she can set up a PayPal account for on-line payments.

 

 

III.  ADOPTION OF DOCUMENTS/PLANS.

 

  1. The motion to go through the web training program by the next Board Meeting was adopted by a majority vote of the Directors.
  2. The motion to accept the approve the attached treasury report given by Linda Seley was approved by a majority vote of the Directors.

 

IV.  NEXT MEETING.  The next meeting of the Board of Directors will be held at 5p.m. on October 16th at a location to be determined.

 

There being no further business, the meeting was duly adjourned.

 

 

 

_______________________________________

John Peterson
Secretary