RMOUG Minutes 7-17-2001






A regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the above corporation was held on July 17, 2001 at 4:46 p.m. at Englewood, Colorado.


I.  QUORUM.  A quorum was declared present based on the presence of the following Directors:


Stanley Yellott

Rich Baca

Jenny McGurk

Melinda Hackstaff

Dan Filkins

Debra Addeo


Conference Call-Ins:

Mark Molnar

Tim Gorman


Also in attendance:

Heidi Kuhn


The following corporate actions were taken by appropriate motions duly made, seconded, and adopted by the majority vote of the Directors entitled to vote (unless a higher voting approval is stated).




A.  Report by Mark Molnar.

Mark Molnar reported that the flyers have been mailed for the fourth annual Golf Tournament.  A message also went out over the list server and the registration form is available on the web.  We have 9 sponsors.  Sixteen people are signed up and we need 76.  We can have up to 84.  We still need sponsors (or volunteers?) for the day of the tournament.  Stan recommends asking members that ran for BOD and were not voted in.


Mark also asked about liability insurance and whether or not we are covered through IOUG.  Stan will find out.  Debra mentioned that we used YCC’s liability insurance last year at the Convention Center.  One of our options might be to get a waiver for the members to sign.


Mark also mentioned that RMOUG can purchase a $10,000 insurance policy for about $245 for a hole in one contest for the golf tournament.


For YCC taking over the RMOUG membership, Mark is working on a draft contract to be finished later this week.  The initial database will be delivered in an ASCII comma delimited file versus re-entering all the information.  Mark will follow up on doing data files versus re-entering the information.  We will also send out an audit return request.  Mark believes it will take a month of so to get the database converted over.  In the meantime, Stan is working on a temporary solution to alleviate the work-load on Heidi.  He is building a dial-up system for Lee Ann and Katharyn to use to dial in to the database and make updates.




B.  Report by Stanley Yellott.

Stanley Yellott reported that before we can bring in other user groups as sub-user groups, we need to figure out where we stand as an organization.  With the membership going over to YCC, it looks like we are going to need to raise membership fees.  We would hate to admit Pikes Peak Oracle Users Group, then jack up the fees.  Stan will respond to PPOUG’s request.


The Bookkeeper has sent a May 31, 2001 Financial statement.  Cash stands at $107,687, an increase of $23,883 over last year end.  There have been no equipment purchases during the current year.  Net income year to date is $22,514, which is higher than last year by $5,219, mainly due to a higher net profit from Training Days ($16,203).  Advertising revenues are down significantly from last year ($12,570).  New member dues are lower than last year, however renewal member dues are higher.  There was $3532 paid in scholarships with no associated expense type last year.  Taxes are reflected on a cash basis and for this reason, income taxes are $5431 higher than last year.  All in all, it was a pretty good year with the areas that we need to look at fairly evident.


Stan would like everyone to work on Budgets and Goals for their areas this year.  He will be sending out communications RFP’s to Board members for approval.


C.  Report by Rich Baca.

Rich Baca reported that he, Kent Graziano and Mark Molnar had a conference call to discuss an award to recognize Doug Faughnan’s contribution to the Rocky Mountain Oracle Users Group.  They felt that a scholarship might not be permanent enough of an award.  They proposed an annual award to be given to an outstanding RMOUG volunteer each year.  During the fourth quarter meeting the RMOUG Board of Directors will nominate and select a

nominee for this award.  The award will be presented at Training Days during the general session.  The first award will be awarded to Doug.  A family member or members will be invited to accept the award in his honor.  Award benefits will include:  lifetime membership to RMOUG, invitation to all RMOUG events, a mounted or standing award such as a plaque or crystal stand, and a biography posted in the Newsletter and on the Website.


A discussion ensued about awards and what Board position would be best managing awards.  It was decided the Secretary position would be best.  Rich will order exiting Board Member plaques to be awarded at the Aug. 24th General Meeting.


The Secretary position will also take on volunteer management.  Irene Ludwig will help Rich with this.


For the list server ownership, the Board felt that an internal Board Member needs to be in charge of it.  Again, the Secretary position was chosen.


Rich also reported that the Newsletter Editor, Rick Hata, wants to remind everyone about the mailing party at 5:00 next Tuesday (July 24th).  He would like a Training Days announcement for the next issue.  He also thought it would be nice to develop a BOD column that would feature at least two Directors per issue to announce to the Users what they are working on.  He would like to remind the Board to help solicit information and articles

for the Newsletter.  Rick is working on getting a contract together for EPS Digital.


D.  Report by Tim Gorman.

Tim Gorman reported that he feels there is enough interest to look at forming Special Interest Groups, called SIGs.  The Board discussed pros and cons about smaller special interest groups.  There is a definite need in some technical areas expertise to help get speakers and newsletter articles.  The Board would like to poll the members to get their opinions and so try 2 simultaneous tracks at one of the meetings.  The discussion about SIGs will continue at the next Board meeting in August.


For the August 24th General Meeting, the Agenda is set.  The Board needs to get the information to the Association for I.T. Professions at Metro.  The meeting will be open to students free of charge.  Since Metro has a food court, lunch will not be provided.  RMOUG will pay for parking.  It was proposed that there would be a panel discussion held during the lunch hour about Careers in the I.T. industry.


E.  Report by Debra Addeo.

Debra Addeo reported that she is giving Elizabeth Boss’s report for Training Days since Elizabeth could not make it to the meeting.  The Contract for the Convention Center is signed and the first installment has been paid.  A copy of the completed signed contract needs to be filed in a Safety Deposit Box for legal documents.


A contract with YCC has not yet been signed.  There weren’t any problems with the changes, Debra just hasn’t had a chance to go over it yet.  Debra or Elizabeth can go ahead and sign it.


For the Web, Debra would like to get Bios and Pictures from all new Board Members by August 1st.


F.  Report by Melinda Hackstaff.

Melinda Hackstaff reported that Kathleen with YCC has no interest in helping us do a vendor contract.  IOUG is willing to share vendor list. We need to put together a sponsor opportunities package to hand out to vendors.  RMOUG needs to be careful about Training Days and a conflict of interest.  Vendor incentive is part of YCC’s contract.  Tim, Melinda, and Rick Hata will work on a Vendor package.  The Advertising for the next Newsletter issue is slim.  The Back page is open.  Training Days will put in a call for papers for the Fall issue.


G.  Report by Jenny McGurk.

Jenny McGurk reported that she and Irene have been vacationing on opposite schedules.  They hope to get together at the mailing on July 24th and trade over the Treasurer information.




A.  The attached motion to accept the Proposal for the “Doug Faughnan                Award” was adopted by a unanimous vote of the Directors.


B.  The attached motion to allow Debra or Elizabeth to sign the corrected YCC contract was adopted by a majority vote of the Directors.


IV.  NEXT MEETING.  The next meeting of the Board of Directors will be held on August 24, 2001, at 7:00 a.m., at Metro State College of Denver’s Tivoli Center.


There being no further business, the meeting was duly adjourned.





Rich Baca