RMOUG Minutes 3-14-2006


A regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the above corporation was held on March 14, 2006 at 4:36 p.m. at Denver, CO.

I.  QUORUM.  A quorum was declared present based on the presence of the following Directors:
Ron Bich
Peggy King
Jeff Meyer
Allison Leech
Conference Call In:
Chip Briggs
Also in attendance:
Heidi Kuhn

The following corporate actions were taken by appropriate motions duly made, seconded, and adopted by the majority vote of the Directors entitled to vote (unless a higher voting approval is stated).



A.  Report by Ron Bich.

Ron Bich reported that Campaign statement submittals are scheduled to end on April 14th, but we will still accept them until the day of the meeting should there be less than 12 submittals.  Peggy and Ron have received statements from Barbara Lewis, Tim Gorman and Ron Bich.  Peggy King, Jeff Meyer and Allison Leech are working on their statements.  Chip Briggs will submit his campaign statement but will only run for the board if we don’t have 12 submittals.  Eric Hernandez is still undecided on running again.

Ron has been approached to help promote a one-day event of relational database tools fair by Andrew Stiles.  The Board wondered what he wanted RMOUG to provide for him, whether it is advertisement space, announcements, etc.  The Board felt that if we do it for him, would we have to do it for other groups.  Ron will recommend that we decline sponsoring the event.  With wanting to change the corporate structure to non-profit, he doesn’t know if helping to promote a event would change things.  Ron would like to keep business as usual rather than trying to pursue new avenues.  Allison will contact Andrew Stiles and see what he is looking for—RMOUG will not  sponsor the event, but would be willing to put message on misc@rmoug.org list server.

Ron reported that he would like RMOUG to extend the 1 year free membership to outgoing board members that left after this motion was passed and only if the outgoing board member requests this.

Ron also reported that four people have expressing interest in being the Oracle Liaison.  A team will be our liaison rather than a single point of contact.  Ron will talk to them about how the team will work.  The Board will send messages to all four, and let them decide which tasks work for which person better.  Motion made and seconded.  Discussion about contacts for Web Page and e-mail accounts.  Ron will notify them and invite them all to the next Board Meeting.

Ron also reported that se have the ability to use our technology, but we need to work on resources.  Each Board Member should be more involved with IS group and take advantage of that technology.  Members-only section needs to get going.  The Board needs to decide on what should and what shouldn’t be public as opposed to members-only place.  The Board talked about website and updates.  Barbara needs to be part of how directors can update their own pages and the directors can manage page content.  Talked about  W3C compliance.  Board responsible for content part, IS director responsible for getting it to the website.  Barbara has the option on using the board for web site maintenance, but since she is not part of this discussion the Board will table it until the next meeting.

The Board also discussed how to move forward on SIGS.  It would be nice to have one meeting in either Fort Collins or Colorado Springs each six months.  Providing one presentation on a DBA and one on a Development topic along with an Oracle representative to talk about current/future plans for Oracle as a pulse point was suggested to potentially help for a SIG meeting format.

B.  Report by Chip Briggs.
Chip Briggs reported that he needs to prepare a cash flow report for Ron Bich which includes how much is in the different accounts.  Chip and Ron need to get together and push forward on getting the first submittal on Non-profit status by April 15th, but for sure by next Educational Workshop.  Look at what they’ve got, then work towards meeting with Kirit, or drop of paper-work for him.  Drop dead is May 15th because out meeting is May 19th.   If we do end up with profit, we can pay for Room Rental again for this fiscal year.

As of February 28, 2006, RMOUG has $139,773.07 in checking and $88,137.53 in savings.  After the March 14th checks were signed, the checking account is at 107,249.84.

C.  Report by Jeff Meyer.

Jeff Meyer reported that most of the articles are ready for the next issue.  He would like to get to the publisher by 3rd week of April with a mail date of May 10th.  For ads, Quest Software  is new, Jeff will check to see if Sagelogix and Tusc want the same ads, and Heidi needs to check to see where Confio is at in their advertisement contract.  Jeff will need another letter from the President.  In the past, we have done a Training Days summary and/or pie charts.  The Board also discussed having a column from the directors that would include some personal information as well as Director responsibilities and goals.  It would also be nice to have the awards given at TD with pictures for those who did not attend Training Days.

D.  Report by Peggy King.

Peggy King reported that she is looking for campaign statements for Board Candidates for the 2006-2007 Fiscal Year.  She would also like additional locations for future Board meetings:  DPS, Sagelogix, Peggy was uncomfortable about going to Mincom, Ron’s work, Access Data has offered in the past, First Data, and Park Meadows has a place we can rent by Panera Bread.  Since we are no longer using Mincom as our ISP, Peggy felt uncomfortable asking to hold Board Meetings at their location.  The Board would like to ask the Oracle Liaisons if they can secure a location at Oracle for the Quarterly Educational Workshop in May.

Peggy also reported on Training Days 2006.  Training Days:  Working through TD expenses.  Projected total income is 250,778.  Expenses projected to be 236,020, which makes us ahead about $14,000.  Peggy thinks it will be 8-10,000 profit by the time all the bills are paid.  We ended up with more registrations, so we ended up with more income.  New/Renew payment for membership worked well.  One volunteer was a no-show, but he had sent an e-mail to Gina.


Dates: February 15-16, 2006
Place: Colorado Convention Center, Denver, CO
Total number 
Speakers: 63                           
Sessions: 116
Total pre-registered participants: 900
PAID participants: 805
COMP. participants: 101 (includes speakers, track coordinators, Board)
                                    On-site registration: 6
Total Participants onsite: 879

No-shows: 27 participants
No shows that registered in Advance: 20
No shows that registered Standard: 3
No shows that registered Late: 1
Other No shows: 2 Board members, 1 Ambassador

Total Number of Participants registered: 906
Current RMOUG members who registered: 491
Nonmembers who registered becoming new members: 201
Nonmembers who registered (excluding speakers):113

Registered participants not checked in as of 10:30m on Wed: 98
Registered by December 31, 2005: 72
Registered by January 11, 2006: 584 (Early registration deadline)                                         Registered by February 6, 2006: 872 (Standard registration deadline)
Registration form taken off web on Tuesday, February 14.


311 survey responses out of 900.  Some got in twice, and there were some test runs.  Getting a one-third response rate is pretty good.


  • 45% excellent
  • 42% above average
  • 1 person said it was below average
  • 89% company pays
  • 10% pay for their own
  • 99% felt company felt it was a good value
  • 60 minutes very effective
  • 90 minutes were 88% effective
  • 30 minute quick tips 71% effective
  • Panel discussions 17% — 77% did not attend panel discussions

Next year, it was suggested we use  color coded flyers in backpack to turn in for questions to the experts for feeder questions and open questions for the panel discussions.  The committee would also have a  more active roll on how the room layout should be.   Peggy didn’t see benefit to breakout sessions of 90 minute and 60 minute and 30 minute sessions.

Peggy would like to hold two TD re-cap meetings.  One will include past TD chairs like Michael Del Toro, Elizabeth Boss, Debra Addeo, and Stan Yellott.  Peggy King would like their ideas on how to make the TD Director more of a chair oversight with more people doing the different jobs.  Future Board members would include TD responsibilities.  Director contact with YCC and managing TD.  E-mail about participants, then decide on location.  The second recap meeting with TD committee, reviewers, room ambassadors, will be an open meeting at Rock Bottom or Wynkoop in April.


Peggy also reported on the Associate IOUG Membership.  RMOUG will add a statement to the on-line application/membership packet.  The limited membership gives access to IOUG website and discussion boards.

D.  Report by Allison Leech.
Allison reported that she will contact Andrew Stiles.  She will also follow up with Heidi about who is on Vendor list, and find out when their annual renewals are.  She needs to get a copy of sponsorship packages and revisit pricing structures.  She will also follow-up with Jeff about participation with which vendors on the publications.

Allison will send the Board e-mails of example letters about existing vendors sponsors, prospective vendors, and non-monetary ways to get involved.



The following motion to accept any Oracle employee who wishes to be an Oracle Liaison for the Board will be accepted as such was passed by a majority vote of the Board of Directors.

The following motion to reimburse 50% discounts to RMOUG events in which Doug Faughnan Lifetime Achievement Award recipients would like to attend was passed by a majority vote of the Board of Directors.


C.  The following motion to accept the revised Mission Statement was passed by a majority vote of the Board of Directors:

Mission Statement

  • To provide educational opportunities to members of the organization about the information technology industry in general, and in particular technologies produced by Oracle Corporation including database, storage, networking, and application development, specifically the products and services of Oracle Corporation.
  • To collect, post, and distribute information about Oracle technologies and other related technologies to members.
  • To provide members with the ability to help their peers maximize their knowledge and skills working with products in information technology and in particular Oracle products
  • To provide a consolidated channel of communication, conveying needs, concerns, and suggestions, for members of the organization, to Oracle Corporation and other vendor corporations involved with Oracle-related technology.
  • To encourage members to present their information technology experiences using Oracle and other products and services.
  • To provide a consolidated channel of communication between members of the organization to other communities in related information technology industries.
  • To promote educational opportunities for students of information technologies through directed funding and services for education purposes.

IV.  NEXT MEETING.  The next meeting of the Board of Directors will be held on April 18 at 4:30 pm. held at DPS again.

There being no further business, the meeting was duly adjourned.