RMOUG Minutes 2-25-2003






A regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the above corporation was held on February 25, 2003 at 4:30 p.m. at Englewood, Colorado.


I.  QUORUM.  A quorum was declared present based on the presence of the following Directors:


Stanley Yellott

Jenny McGurk

Ron Bich

Chip Briggs

Rick Hata

Tim Gorman

Jeff Meyer

Bill Schwartzkopf


Via conference call:

Debra Addeo

Diane Ambrose

Rich Baca


Also in attendance:

Heidi Kuhn


The following corporate actions were taken by appropriate motions duly made, seconded, and adopted by the majority vote of the Directors entitled to vote (unless a higher voting approval is stated).




A.  Report by Stan Yellott.

Stan Yellott reported that the RMOUG Phone Number belongs to Gerald Forney and is being forwarded to Heidi’s phone line.  RMOUG is paying for both Gerald’s phone line and Heidi’s second line.  A discussion ensued about getting a Cricket cell phone if it can be linked to the RMOUG PO Box rather than a physical address.  Stan will look into what it would take to get a Cricket phone.


Stan also reported for Elizabeth Boss that Training Days 2003 registration is down about 10% from last year.  We have a little more Vendor Support, but nothing from Oracle yet.  Three Board members have volunteered to help with the Bag Stuffing on Tuesday, March 4th starting at 9:30 a.m.  Bill Schwartzkopf asked to get e-mailed directions on which door of the Convention Center will be open.


The Training Days 2003 opening session will be 45 minutes long and we do not have a keynote speaker.  It was suggested that maybe someone from Oracle could give a short presentation on the “Future of Oracle.”  The Doug Faughnan and IOUG-A Awards will be given out at this time.  If anyone wants to mention anything during the opening session, please e-mail Stan.  While we have received the different price breakdowns for food options, Stan did not have the final information of what Elizabeth decided to order and what the end result will be.


Stan also reported that he has sent out 5 Scholarship letters to Metro State College of Denver, University of Southern Colorado, University of Northern Colorado, University of Denver, and Regis University.  He has heard back from Metro and USC and has given the Universities until the end of March to respond.


B.  Report by Ron Bich.

Ron Bich reported that he has the Information System Policies written up.  Diane Ambrose asked about the wording on item #9 and whether the Director of IS must acquire approval from the Board before making maintenance changes or if they have to be full-scare production changes.  The Board felt that requiring approval for all changes might be too much, but certainly major changes need to be approved.


Ron reported that some of the major Information Systems tasks have begun.  Ron has put them in order of importance, but noted that several of the items will be happening simultaneously.

1)      Set up E-mail accounts and e-mail list servers.  Mincom has the I-mail server up and running with the address of @mincomhosting.net currently.  The address will change when rmoug.org is up.  It will be pop3 addressable e-mail.  The mail will stay on the server and Stan is looking into Archiving capability.

2)      Complete system standards documentation.  Chip Briggs and Jodi Gorski are looking into current standards and will get with Ron Bich on them.

3)      Setup current web site on our system.  Nothing has been done yet.

4)      Move membership system to our system.  Nothing has been done yet.

5)      Complete member email update web form.  Nothing has been done yet.

6)      Upgrade web site to W3C standards.  Ron will e-mail for volunteers to being project manager.  The W3C organization will make for easier maintenance of the system.

7)      Built TD document templates and web forms.  This takes the highest amount of maintenance.  Ron would like to develop standardized templates.  This depends on how responsive YCC is to building the templates and how much we want to pay for their time.

8)      Build members only web site.  Ron needs someone to help.


In the meeting with Mincom, it was decided to have one box for the web server for Development, UAT, and Production.  The second box will have the database server with SQL net connections for the RMOUG Database.  Ron and the Mincom System Administrator will coordinate on how they want it set up.  Mincom is hoping to get the servers started by the end of next week.  It will be hooked up to backup network at Mincom in the next day or two.  Mincom has requested RMOUG is change the DNS server to Mincom.  This will be done on-line with Verisign.  Debra Addeo said there would be a lot of warnings.  It will take a couple of days to change it.  Because we are not changing where the host is, there should be minimal disruptions.  The change of primary and secondary DNS could be scheduled for the Friday after Training Days.  Then the question was bought up about whether or not to leave existing web information on Verio and manage 2 separate sites.  The Board felt that it would be best to keep both sites, at least for a little bit before the switching is complete.


Ron also reported that he would like to give Bruce Bergman of FatCity something to show our appreciation for his generosity in hosting the RMOUG list servers for free for the last five or six years.


C.  Report by Rich Baca.

Rich Baca reported that Board Members have voted for the Doug Faughnan and IOUG-A Awards.  Kent Graziano will receive the Doug Faughnan Award and Elizabeth Boss will receive the IOUG-A Award.  Rich will give the introduction for the Doug Faughnan Award and will see if Dan Fink will give the introduction for the IOUG-A Award.  A small gift from RMOUG with the awards was discussed.  Bill Schwartzkopf will pick up the Doug Faughnan Award on Tuesday.


D.  Report by Jenny McGurk

Jenny McGurk reported that there is currently $109,000 in Savings and $105,000 in Checking.  There are $30,000 in outstanding bills.


E.  Report by Rick Hata

Rick Hata reported that Elizabeth Boss will be writing the Training Days 2003 Newsletter Article.  The students from Colorado Springs will also be writing a newsletter article about their experiences.  Rick is also looking for Book Reviews, especially on Tuning Books.  Articles are due next week.





A.  The following motion to accept the following Information System Policies with rewording of Item #9 was passed by a majority vote of the Directors.

  1. The Director of IS will be responsible for evaluating and adjusting the IS structure and positions during his/her term of office.   This will include a recommendation report at the end of his/her term as Director of IS that addresses the current System Policies, IS system and positions structure and any proposed changes to these areas.   All incoming IS Directors will be responsible for providing a summary to the Board of Directors that addresses each line item of the outgoing Director’s recommendation report within the first 6 months of taking office.
  2. The Director of IS will be responsible for maintaining the daily operations of RMOUG’s Information Systems.
  3. The Director of IS will provide a systems summary report of last month’s production system/s at each Board Meeting.   This may also include any ongoing project statuses.
  4. The Director of IS shall have the authority to install and evaluate any software within our development systems prior to entering into any agreement with a software vendor for use of software.
  5. The Director of IS can at his/her own discretion sign software licenses that are donated to RMOUG without any obligation to the Organization.   Any agreements must be reported to the Board of Directors at the next Board Meeting.   The IS Director responsible for acquiring said software will be responsible for providing a report to the Board of Directors justifying production implementation for any donated software, if requested by another Board Member During his/her term of office.
  6. The Director of IS must acquire approval from the Board of Directors for purchases of any software/hardware to be used in any capacity with our Organizations IS Systems.   This is to include software obtained for exchange of any obligation of services rendered by any one member or members or our Organization as a whole.
  7. The Director of IS will be responsible for maintaining a system hardware/software inventory and providing a current listing of said inventory to another Board Member at their request within an appropriate time frame.
  8. The Director of IS will be responsible for maintaining an organization chart of our hardware, software and staffing environment and providing each of these to another Board Member at their request within an appropriate time frame.
  9. The Director of IS must acquire approval from the Board of Directors before making changes to the production systems, including the production database and the software supporting the production website.


B.  The motion to provide Bruce Bergman a five year Membership was passed by a majority vote of the Directors.


IV.  NEXT MEETING.  The next meeting of the Board of Directors will be held on March 25, 2003, at 4:30, at Mincom in Englewood, CO.


There being no further business, the meeting was duly adjourned.





Debra Addeo