RMOUG Minutes 12-1-2003






A regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the above corporation was held on December 1st at 4:30 p.m. at Englewood, Colorado.


I.  QUORUM.  A quorum was declared present based on the presence of the following Directors:


Tim Gorman

Rick Hata

Chip Briggs

Ron Bich


Via Conference Call:

Dan Fink

Peggy King

Wayne McGurk


Also in attendance:

Heidi Kuhn

Rick Garland

Claire Greenblatt

Kevin Schmitt





The following corporate actions were taken by appropriate motions duly made, seconded, and adopted by the majority vote of the Directors entitled to vote (unless a higher voting approval is stated).




A.  Report by Ron Bich.

Ron Bich reported that these are the current actions taken to address web site stability:

1. Web site was running on 9D box (9D9KC21) until Friday, Nov. 28th, when this box crashed.

2. Web site moved to 8D box (8D9KC21, rebuilt) late Friday night and waiting on DNS port to bring web site up.

3. Oracle installation on hold until viable solution can be implemented to decrease hardware instability for web server.

4. Backups moved to nightly.


Future plans to address recent web site stability

1. Interim solution for increasing hardware stability is to implement a nightly process to copy entire web site to 9D box as a backup for the 8D box.

2. Discuss with Board our long term needs for addressing hardware stability.   Open to suggestions, for instance the acquisition of an additional box to provide us with 2 dedicated web servers.  Kevin Schmitt with Mincom stated
that they have a box available to use as our backup box for our Web Site and
will make that available for our use over the next year and possibly longer.
He asked Rick to set this box up as our backup box as soon as possible.
Therefore at this time item #2 in Future plans is not an issue.

3. Discuss DNS routing and the possibility to switch DNS pointer between boxes when box that DNS currently points to crashes.  Rick Garland stated that when our main box goes down in the future the DNS will be transferred to our back up box within an
hour of the occurrence and asked the board if this was sufficient and the
board members that were present agreed that it was sufficient


Ron and Rick Garland also stated that Dell support could not find anything
specific that went wrong with our servers.  They are still under warranty
and we have a three year support agreement with them.  Kevin Schmitt is
going to find out the exact dates for the warranties and find out costs for
extended warranties.  Mincom is going to get additional help for Rick.


Ron has also put together an RMOUG Inventory document.  He would also like
to track software on it so that it will be easier to find out what is going




B.  Report Peggy King.

Peggy King reported an update of items completed to date in preparation for Training Days 2004 –


# of Registrations:  30 of 700 anticipated attendees


# of Exhibitors: 9 of 30 anticipated


# of Confirmed/Copyright Received Speakers: 33 of 68 scheduled speakers


# of Vendor Presentations: 7 of  8 presentations available



In Progress – The on-line registration page is being created and tested by YCC. YCC will be ready to replace the current FAX page with the on-line registration link to our website by December 2nd. The interface between the two systems will appear seamless.  YCC has developed and notified the speakers that the speaker information page has been posted, provided them with a link and sent a message out to the speakers. The costs for creation of the webpage is $500 to develop the registration form $ 50/month to host the site. YCC will also receive 5% of the credit card charges to cover the associated fees. The additional costs for these services are added to the budget and I am working with YCC to realign the existing budget numbers to stay within our projection.


We need to discuss alternatives for registration should the RMOUG site continue to have problems.


We have 9 of 30 exhibitors and 7of 8 vendor presentations:


Exhibitors (30 slots):

Tidal Software


Quest Software

Maverick Solutions


Hotsos Enterprises





Vendor Presentation (8 slots):

Tidal Software


Quest Software

Hotsos Enterprises





Exhibitor Update from YCC:

From YCC — This is what we know for sure:
Boss Consulting – not exhibiting – received a call on Wednesday telling us, they had not paid yet.
Churchill – exhibiting and vendor presentation
DataMirror – exhibiting and vendor presentation
Embarcadero Technologies
Hotsos Enterprises – exhibiting and vendor presentation
Maverick Solutions, Inc. – exhibiting
Quest Software, Inc. – exhibit and vendor presentation
TIDAL Software – exhibitor and vendor presentation
TUSC – exhibitor and vendor presentation
VERITAS Software – exhibitor and vendor presentation

From YCC — This is what she’s working on:
Ablaze Group – very interested in participating
Altova – has mentioned pens and note pads – waiting on contract to come back in – e-mailed back         and forth with her this morning – looks promising – asked to call back after holidays
Computer Associates – interested – calling back after holidays
Database Specialists – Lisa Loper requested info – asked to touch base after holidays
HyperRoll – wants to be called back after Thanksgiving
Network Appliance, Inc. – really wanted vendor presentation, however will get back to me with other     choice
Primus Geographics – asked to call back after holiday
Runner Technologies – very interested in participating in some way – call back after holidays
Fair Isaac – calling back after holiday

From YCC — Definitely Not Exhibiting:
Expand Beyond – not doing show this year – budget on hold
Isidian Technologies – not doing show
Seeristic – not participating – no money
Senware – not participating – maybe in 2005

NOTE: Melissa has really been working this – she has contacted every company that has someone speaking at the event trying to drum up so new leads.  This is a relatively new phenomenon for RMOUG – normally this show sells relatively easily especially to exhibit, last year getting sponsors was difficult.  However, I think the board needs to be aware that we are definitely getting a lot of “not enough money this year” responses. 
Issue to be discussed, we do not have any sponsorships to date for TD 2004. Still no sponsors, we need to gather some support. YCC has a person calling the exhibitors and responding to the inquiries I have received. Some interest but no confirmations as of today.


We need to get sponsors for as many of the following as possible (in order of importance to the conference):
1) Continental Breakfast, one day or both days

2) Training Days Reception
3) Conference Bags
4) Conference T-Shirts
5) Beverage Service – water garden, sodas, coffee, etc.
6) Conference Breaks – cookies, brownies
7) Conference CDs
8) Name Badge Holders — looking for lanyards if possible
9) Name Badge Inserts
10) Conference Pens, Conference Notepads, Water Bottles


If funds are short, what items do we cut back on, Conference bag, shirts and other giveaways –T-Shirts, conference Bags, Volunteers shirts, food items.


The conference schedule is set, (see …TD 2004 Schedule) has 4 – 60 minute session tracks and 1 – 90 minute session track each day with 9 presentations for a total of 90 presentations. We will have keynote speaker each morning.


Volunteer status report: Diane Ambrose has volunteered to coordinate the Room Monitors, currently there are 10 with 2 backups at last count.


Room Monitors – Need to get a least 28 people to volunteer as a room monitors. They need commit to giving RMOUG 7.5 hours of time for either Group 1 or Group 2 to monitor sessions. In return for their commitment they will receive one conference registration.


We will try where possible to let the room monitor select the room, this way they can select rooms with sessions they are interested in. The room assignments will be made at the Informational meeting for volunteers in January.


Group 1: Need 12 room monitors, plus 2 floaters

Block A —- Session 1 – Session 2 (9:00 am – 12:00 pm) ——– 3 hr

Block F —- Session 9 – Session 10 (3:30 pm – 6:00 pm) —–2.5 hr

Block B —- Session 3 (90 minute) (1:15 pm – 3:15 pm) —– 2 hr


Group 2 : Need 12 room monitors, plus 2 floaters

Block C —- Session 4 – Session 5 (3:30 pm – 6:00 pm)

Block D —- Session 6 – Session 7 (9:00 am – 12:00 pm)

Block E —- Session 8 (90 minute) (1:15 pm – 3:15 pm)


Session 3 – Board Members will introduce the 90 minute Speakers, both days … I need to have the board members let me know whom they would like to introduce.


Tim Gorman

Rick Hata

Chip Briggs

Bill Schwartzkopf

Wayne McGurk (received response)

Dan Fink (received response)

Robin Reed

Stan Yellott

Gary Dodge

Peggy King –back up

Diane Ambrose – back up


Jenny MCGurk has volunteered to help with the Registration volunteers, currently there are 6 volunteers at last count.


Registration Volunteers – need about 15 – 20 volunteers, all Registration Volunteers will assist with registration from 6:30 a.m.– 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday, February 11.  Plan on arriving by 6:00 a.m.  and will be asked to sign up for one additional volunteer hour per day. In return for their commitment they will receive a 50% discount on one conference registration.



Next TD meeting planned for December 2nd at 5:00pm at SageLogix – items to discuss:

Sponsorships – continued

Program Text Review – how and what do we want to include

Do we want a schedule at a glance — ??

Speaker Status – # responded with copyrights to YCC
Budget Review to date —  current


YCC has gotten the on-line registration going.  There will be a separate form for Track Coordinators/Volunteers rather than the standard one.  Once Ron gets the link for YCC’s page, he will have everything ready to go for when YCC is ready.


The Board discussed Vendors and Board members who will be contacting them.  Tim will send Linda the list to coordinate the contacts.


In the beginning of January we will need to decide what can be cut if we do not get enough sponsors for Training Days.



C.  Report by Tim Gorman

Tim Gorman reported that December 15th is the deadline for Newsletter Advertising.  Currently TUSC has renewed their newsletter ad.  Boss Consulting is passing at this time, and we haven’t heard back from MODE.  Sagelogix will be working on an ad.  Heidi is waiting on a new contact with Quest Software.  Anyone who can help Dan with advertising would greatly be appreciated, especially since he will be gone from the 5-15th of December.


Marketing RMOUG and how to go about that needs to be made in more specific proposals.  We need to look for more places to advertise our user group.  The Board thought it might be nice to come up with a ¼ page ad to put out.


The Bookkeeper RFP has been sent out and Heidi needs to forward some information about Quarterly Services rather than monthly services to the RFP recipients.  The RFPs are due Friday, Dec. 12th and the final decision will be made the next week.


The board discussed our checkhandling policy and decided that it would be most efficient if Heidi handled most of the bookkeeping, including the writing of checks. The treasurer will continue to sign all checks, obtaining approval from at least two other board members.

The board discussed the means for advertising RMOUG to world, for Training Days and year-round.  Ron raised this issue with an observation about a website where our links would be helpful.  No specific course of action was decided upon yet, but each board member is asked to be alert for ways to increase the awareness of RMOUG in the general community, not just the narrow one involving Oracle


For the NDA that Tim sent, he would really like the Board to look it over and make sure they would be comfortable signing it.  All Board members and volunteers will need to sign it.  We can approve it via e-mail.



III.  NEXT MEETING.  The next meeting of the Board of Directors will be held on January 15th or 16th, 4:30 pm at a place to be determined.


There being no further business, the meeting was duly adjourned.





Bill Schwartzkopf