RMOUG Minutes 10-29-2003

 MINUTES OF THE

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING

OF

ROCKY MOUNTAIN ORACLE USERS GROUP

 

A regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the above corporation was held on October 29, 2003 at 4:30 p.m. at Englewood, Colorado.

 

I.  QUORUM.  A quorum was declared present based on the presence of the following Directors:

 

Peggy King

Wayne McGurk

 

Via Conference Call:

Chip Briggs

Tim Gorman

Ron Bich

Dan Fink

 

Also in attendance:

Heidi Kuhn

Connie Hatcher

 

Also is attendance via Conference Call:

Lynn Osbourne

Mike Lea

Beth Gonzales

 

 

 

 

The following corporate actions were taken by appropriate motions duly made, seconded, and adopted by the majority vote of the Directors entitled to vote (unless a higher voting approval is stated).

 

II.  REPORTS.

 

A.  Report by Tim Gorman.

Tim Gorman reported that the Colorado Oracle Applications Users Group has approached RMOUG about a joint operations or blending of the groups.  Several COAUG representatives joined the meeting and gave us a brief synopsis of their group.  They have about 200 members and membership is free.  They have two distinct focuses, Membership and Training Days.  There have been nominal fees for facility and snacks at their Training Days.  This year they decided not to do their Training Days because they do not have enough volunteers to fill presentations.  Ideas about have joint meetings or combining the groups were discussed.  Both groups felt that they needed to further think about the different options and maybe get back together at the Board meeting on Nov 14th.  RMOUG did feel that a comparing of e-mails might be beneficial.  Heidi and Connie Hatcher will work on that.

 

Tim also reported that the motherboards on the servers are bad.  Ron has been working hard and the position of webmaster has become very intense because of all the changes needed.  Tim would like to suggest that submission of context to webmaster now becomes more diverse.  He would like to divide up the responsibilities to the different Board Members.  The Board members will have access to the UAT page, then the IS Director will put them into production.  Tim suggested that the Board members could take a 1 or 2 hour class to get them up to speed.

 

Tim has also contacted a lawyer to put together a Non- Disclosure Agreement for anyone working on the website.  The Board also felt that this would be a good thing to have for all volunteers.

 

 

B.  Report Peggy King.

Peggy King reported that she has an update of items completed to date in preparation for Training Days 2004.

Completed – The Convention Center Contract has been signed and delivered.  Contract payments to Denver Convention Center are current, next payment due in January 9, 2004

Have sent all invoices to date from YCC to Treasurer, Chip Briggs.

 

Completed – The following are the fees for TD 2004 – Conference postcard has been sent, the website conference information and registration page should be up by 11/2/2003 (barring any unforeseen issues)

 

Registration Fee (includes Conference Proceeding on CD only)

Member             Non-Member             New Member (incl. Mem)
Early             $230             $290            $305
Standard            $275             $335             $350
Late            $375             $435            $450
If you wish to purchase a hard bound copy of the Conference Proceedings add $35 to your registration fee.

 

Registration Page Information – will include information on hotels, we decided not to block our hotel rooms by rather to provide attendees information.

 

Completed – Received copy of Sponsorship opportunities from YCC and reviewed sponsorships and decide on the following:  We have 8 exhibitors and 5 vendor presentations:

 

Exhibitors:

Tidal Software

DataMirror

Quest Software

Maverick Solutions

Embarcadero

Boss Consulting

Hotsos Enterprises

TUSC

 

Vendor Presentation:

Tidal Software

DataMirror

Quest Software

Hotsos Enterprises

TUSC

 

Exhibit Booths – $1100 (YCC target 30 vendors)

 

1)  $1,000 for those 5 who have contracted at 2002 rates — Vendor Presentation – $250 (schedule 10 or 11)

1) Will offer vendor presentation opportunities to the contracted exhibitors first, on a first come first serve basis for one time slot initially –
2) if not all slots taken will offer vendors opportunity to schedule additional time slots —
3) if not all time slots are scheduled after round two then we will open up the time slots to non-exhibitors as needed.

Issue to be discussed, we do not have any sponsorships to date for TD 2004. We need to get sponsors for as many of the following as possible (in order of importance to the conference):
1) Continental Breakfast, one day or both days

2) Training Days Reception
3) Conference Bags
4) Conference T-Shirts
5) Beverage Service – water garden, sodas, coffee, etc.
6) Conference Breaks – cookies, brownies
7) Conference CDs
8) Name Badge Holders — looking for lanyards if possible
9) Name Badge Inserts
10) Conference Pens, Conference Notepads, Water Bottles

 

Completed – Finalized floor plan for exhibit hall – responses received were positive that last years setup went very well, told YCC we will stay with the same setup as 2003 —– Need to get this from YCC – received layout

 

A special Thank you to the Track Coordinators and Paper Reviewers who helped with the paper selection and scheduling at the October 16th meeting.

 

DBA Abstract Reviewers:

Jeff Meyer

James Koopmann

Tim Gorman

Brandon Ragsdale

David Streifel

Bonnie O’Neil

Dev Abstract Reviewers:

Rick Hata

John King

Rich Baca

Karen Logue


 

DW Abstract Reviewers:

Jeff Maresh

Tim Gorman

Gary Dodge

Kent Graziano

Bob Mason

Misc Abstract Reviewers:

Wayne McGurk

Eric Linneman

Sam Oden

 

We completed the process of selecting and scheduling the papers and the results have been sent to YCC. Provided a barbeque dinner for the group (cost $175.38). Linda at YCC has emailed the speaker confirmation and backup speaker confirmations, formal letters will go out next week. To date we have 52 of 68 speaker confirmations. YCC is also working on the preliminary agenda for the conference.

 

The conference has 36- 60 minute sessions and 9 – 90 minute session each day for a total of 90 presentations for the conference. We will have keynote speaker each morning. (see sample agenda)

 

Conference Information Page: The page will ask for Volunteers to help with the conference in registration and as room monitors.  Diane Ambrose has volunteered to coordinate the Room Monitors and Jenny MCGurk has volunteered to help with the Registration volunteers.

 

Room Monitors – Need to get a least 28 people to volunteer as a room monitors. They need commit to giving RMOUG 7.5 hours of time for either Group 1 or Group 2 to monitor sessions. In return for their commitment they will receive one conference registration.

 

We will try where possible to let the room monitor select the room, this way they can select rooms with sessions they are interested in. The room assignments will be made at the Informational meeting for volunteers in January.

 

Group 1: Need 12 room monitors, plus 2 floaters

Block A —- Session 1 – Session 2 (9:00 am – 12:00 pm) ——– 3 hr

Block F —- Session 9 – Session 10 (3:30 pm – 6:00 pm) ——– 2.5 hr

Block B —- Session 3 (90 minute) (1:15 pm – 3:15 pm) ———– 2 hr

 

Group 2 : Need 12 room monitors, plus 2 floaters

Block C —- Session 4 – Session 5 (3:30 pm – 6:00 pm)

Block D —- Session 6 – Session 7 (9:00 am – 12:00 pm)

Block E —- Session 8 (90 minute) (1:15 pm – 3:15 pm)

 

Session 3 – Board Members will introduce the 90 minute Speakers, both days

 

Tim Gorman

Rick Hata

Chip Briggs

Bill Schwartzkopf

Wayne McGurk

Dan Fink

Robin Reed

Stan Yellott

Gary Dodge

Ron Bich

 

Peggy King –back up

Diane Ambrose – back up

 

Registration Volunteers – need about 15 – 20 volunteers, all Registration Volunteers will assist with registration from 6:30 a.m.– 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday, February 11.  Plan on arriving by 6:00 a.m.  and will be asked to sign up for one additional volunteer hour per day. In return for their commitment they will receive a 50% discount on one conference registration.

 

 

Next TD meeting planned for November13th at 5:00pm at SageLogix – items to discuss:

Sponsorships

Program Text Review

Do we want a schedule at a glance — ??

Conference bag, shirts and other giveaways

Speaker Status – confirmed by YCC
Budget Review to date —

 

 

C.  Report by Wayne McGurk

Wayne McGurk reported the agenda is set for the Nov. 14th RMOUG General Meeting.  The meeting will be held at the Holiday Inn Denver South near the Centennial Airport.  He would like to have it go out to the membership before Monday, Nov. 3rd.  Boxed lunches will be available for $10.  Heidi will take orders for lunches with registration.

 

Wayne needs a check for to the Holiday Inn 3 days before the meeting (Nov. 11).  Right now it is held on Wayne’s credit card.  Wayne will also need a count as soon as possible to get to the hotel.

 

D.  Report by Chip Briggs

Chip Briggs reported that a quick Bookkeeper RFP was put together.  The RFP will be sent to four different bookkeepers, including the current one, with an explanation of RMOUG’s need to keep price down and do more things electronically.  Questions can go to Chip and he will forward to the Board.  Questions will be due by Nov. 7th.  The Board felt that it would be nice to get the responses by Close of Business Day on Nov. 12th.  Heidi will receive the responses so she can distribute to the Board.  The Board will narrow it to 2 candidates to interview.  The Treasurer will make the final decision and submit that to the Board for approval.

 

 

 

The Board felt it would be good to identify the process involved in the web site and break the tasks out.  Eventually, each Board Member will be responsible for making sure their section of the web site is updated.  It was decided to meet as a group to hash out the different areas that are most important.  Ron will put together a committee to define what we want and figure out a design to implement it.The intent is to allow the IS Director to maintain and enhance the IS infrastructure while making the rest of the board responsible for manipulating website content related to their area of responsibility.  Ron has put together an excellent infrastructure utilizing a UAT website to allow controlled update of the website, in addition to his efforts to standardize the website as W3C compliant.

 

 

E.  Report by Ron Bich

Ron Bich reported that the existing by-laws are out of date.  The Board will read up on the change for the Nov. 14th Board Meeting.  The earliest we can change the by-laws is probably the May Meeting.

 

 

III.  NEXT MEETING.  The next meeting of the Board of Directors will be held on Nov. 14th at 7:30 am at the Holiday Inn-Denver South- Centennial Airport before the General Meeting.

 

There being no further business, the meeting was duly adjourned.

 

 

 

_______________________________________

Bill Schwartzkopf

Secretary