RMOUG Minutes 10-29-2001






A regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the above corporation was held on October 29, 2001 at 4:30 p.m. at Englewood, Colorado.


I.  QUORUM.  A quorum was declared present based on the presence of the following Directors:


Stanley Yellott

Jenny McGurk

Rich Baca

Allison Leech

Bill Schwartzkopf


Conference Call-Ins:

Mark Molnar

Tim Gorman

Gary Dodge


Also in attendance:

Heidi Kuhn

Spencer McGurk


The following corporate actions were taken by appropriate motions duly made, seconded, and adopted by the majority vote of the Directors entitled to vote (unless a higher voting approval is stated).




A.  Report by Stanley Yellott.

Stanley Yellott reported that the year 2002 is the 50th Anniversary for AITP.  To celebrate they are having a party at Dave & Busters on Jan 15th and they have invited RMOUG members to join them.  The cost is $25 per person and reservations need to be made by Jan 8th.  Stan will send out a message to the RMOUG Misc-L list server.


Due to the length of negotiation in the Contract with YCC, it was decided to delay the initiation until Fiscal Year 2002.  It was discussed whether or not to keep the Membership in the current system and to look for a replacement for Heidi.  Heidi will work on a proposal for what kind of role she would like to keep by the December Board Meeting.


Debra Addeo would like the Board to try out the registration for Training Days.


The next newsletter is coming out in the next week or two.  Since Irene Ludwig is going to be on vacation, Rick Hata is going to have the publisher do the mailing.  The cost should be about the same.  Rick wants to improve the turnover time for getting the newsletter out.


The Board discussed advertising packages.  A long time supporter of RMOUG asked about getting an additional discount.  It was finally decided that the packages and the pre-paid 20% discount for four ads should be enough.


B.  Report by Jenny McGurk.

Jenny McGurk reported that RMOUG has a net loss of $5465 this year.  Expenses are higher by $28,000 than last year.  Taxes are higher and there is very little advertising coming in this year.  Membership revenue is $1,000 lower than last year.  Upcoming costs include: a Quarterly Meeting which usually runs about $3000 to $5,000 each and a Newsletter, which runs about $10,000.  A discussion ensued about whether or not we can afford to have YCC take over Membership before the 2002-2003 membership year.  It was also mentioned that future YCC contracts need to state that expenses must be submitted by 90 days after Training Days.


The by-laws state that Board approval needs to be made for all transactions over $500, transactions less than $500 may be approved by the President and responsible Board member, and that two signatures are required on all checks.  A discussion ensued about the procedure to process invoices.  Heidi will check into what it would take for the bank to require two signatures on checks over $500.  Jenny also felt that it was very important to get chair approval for expenses.  At the May 2002 Business Meeting it was suggested that RMOUG look into changing the by-laws to state approval for any expenditure over $500.


C.  Report by Tim Gorman.

Tim Gorman reported that the catering is all set up for Nov 9th’s RMOUG General Meeting.  He has four speakers and will send out a reminder notice e-mail.  Heidi sent out the mailer.  He does not have any sponsors for the next meeting.  He’s projecting the cost to be $2200, especially since Gary has volunteered to bring a projector.


D.  Report by Gary Dodge.

Gary Dodge reported that he has made contact with 15 Vice Presidents at Oracle for Training Days Sponsorships.  Two Sponsorships from last year that have not paid have changed jobs.  One is still with the company, so Gary is still pursing the payment.  It was decided to ask for the Sponsorship payments to be made in January.


E.  Report by Bill Schwartzkopf.

Bill Schwartzkopf reported that the Nov 9th General Meeting information is up on the IOUG website.  He is getting ready to submit a grant application for the May meeting.  We have been approved to receive a grant for the November meeting, but do not know the amount yet.  Bill also mentioned that he would like to get articles from the SQL_UPDATE RMOUG into IOUG’s Select Magazine.


Pikes Peak User Group would like do some type of jointly sponsored function with RMOUG.  A brief discussion ensued about possibly having a meeting in Castle Rock with them.


F.  Report by Allison Leech.

Allison Leech reported that she is interested in getting more information about presenting scholarships.  Last year we gave out $500 per institution per year.  Allison will plan for soliciting new scholarships.  She will continue to work with Metro State College of Denver and other colleges who are very involved.  It was also mentioned that it would be good to have a Speakers exchange with the colleges.


G.  Report by Rich Baca.

Rich Baca reported that no one has contacted him about awards.  He will order the Doug Faughnan award to be presented at Training Days.


Reports given over e-mails:

H.  Report by Elizabeth Boss.

Elizabeth Boss reported that 16 booths have been purchased to date, 3 sponsorships.  There were 88 abstracts submitted, plus 10 from Oracle Education for a total of 98 abstracts.  Seventy-seven hours worth of abstracts will be accepted and there will be a mixture of 1 hour and 2 hour sessions.  The committee is currently working on the preliminary schedule.  Speakers will be notified this week of acceptance.  Ten non-board member registrations have been received.




A.  The established procedure for processing invoices will be that all invoices will be mailed to the PO Box address of record (PO Box 621942, Littleton, CO  80162).  A responsible party at that address will send a copy to the responsible Chair, Treasurer, and President.  The original invoice will be forwarded to the Treasurer.  The responsible chair has 9 days to approve or disapprove the invoice via email to the President and Treasurer.  If approved, the Treasurer will cut a check and get 2nd signature. The motion was adopted by a majority vote of the Directors.


B.  The motion to approve the new packages in the brochure with a la carte prices remaining in place was adopted by a majority vote of the Directors.


IV.  NEXT MEETING.  The next meeting of the Board of Directors will be held on December 04, 2001, at 4:30, at Agilera.


There being no further business, the meeting was duly adjourned.





Rich Baca