RMOUG Minutes 10-15-2002

MINUTES OF THE

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING

OF

ROCKY MOUNTAIN ORACLE USERS GROUP

 

A regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the above corporation was held on October 15, 2002 at 4:30 p.m. at Englewood, Colorado.

 

I.  QUORUM.  A quorum was declared present based on the presence of the following Directors:

 

Stanley Yellott

Jenny McGurk

Ron Bich

Elizabeth Boss

Tim Gorman

Rick Hata

Allison Leech

Jeff Meyer

Bill Schwartzkopf

 

Via Teleconference:

Debra Addeo

Diane Ambrose

Rich Baca

 

Also in attendance:

Dan Fink

Michael Fons

Heidi Kuhn

Mike Morneau

Katharyn Sindt

 

The following corporate actions were taken by appropriate motions duly made, seconded, and adopted by the majority vote of the Directors entitled to vote (unless a higher voting approval is stated).

 

II. REPORTS.

 

A.     Report by Dan Fink and Elizabeth Boss

Dan Fink reported that Training Days 2003 has 19 volunteers for the paper selection committee.  There have been 101 abstracts turned in so far.  Abstracts will be distributed via e-mail this year.  The schedule for Paper Selection is as follows:

10/16 – 10/20  – Individual Review of Abstracts

10/21 – Individual Reviews due to YCC

10-24 – YCC sends review results to Paper Selection Committee

10/28 – Initial Scheduling Meeting

10/30 – Preliminary Agenda to YCC

11/18 – 2nd Scheduling Meeting (This date is after Speaker Acceptance is due)

 

In the past there has been no written process for reviewing abstracts.  They have developed a review process to help get through selection faster.  The weighing will be done by interest, appropriateness, and speaker reputation.  The Board also suggested adding a topic of reviewer confidence rating on a subject and it needs to be geared towards interest as RMOUG as a group as opposed to individual interest.  Dan would like several Board members at both the Paper Selection Committee and the Initial Scheduling Meeting.

 

People on the Paper Selection Committee have the option of being Track Coordinators.  The number of Track Coordinators depends upon the number of rooms.  The Board felt the 10 rooms configuration would give more room for sessions.  One room is dedicated for a Vendor Track and will seat 53 people.

 

It was decided that the starting time for both days will be 8:30 a.m.  The Board also decided it would be good to have a General Session at the start and a Closing Session at the end.  The vendor hall will stay open later the second day so that their will be a place to go during the mid-afternoon break.  The General Session at the start will be the time to hand out awards.  The Closing Session will be the time when Vendors will have their give-aways.  Vendor give-aways and having a passport for a big give-away was discussed.  Exhibitors who did not sign a contract at Training Days 2002 will have to pay the $1000 booth fee.  Vendor tracks are $250 a session and also include two companion tickets worth $25.

 

Sponsorships are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.  The Name Badge placards are being sponsored and regular paid attendees will receive them.  Other attendees will receive a non-placard badge which will make it easier for volunteers to determine who should be in the sessions.

 

By going to a clear plastic shell instead of a CD Jewell case, RMOUG will save $550.

 

Since there have been several out-of-state abstracts, it was suggested that volunteers be asked to help shuttle anyone from out-of-state to and from the airport.  Anyone volunteering needs to be clear that RMOUG is not responsible for any accidents.

 

B.     Report by Ron Bich

Ron Bich reported that there were three vendors who responded the IS RFP.  Mincom was able to whittle down their bid to about $375 a month.  The Board thought it would be best if Stan, Ron, and Jenny come up with a firm price for the contract, then come back to the Board with the numbers.  Jenny will let the Board know what the best way to pay for the Information Services will be.  She would like Mincom to give a firm price on what their interest rate is.

 

Ron would like two volunteers willing to help with a service level agreement to help cover the details.  Stan, Bill, and Tim volunteered to help.  It was also suggested that we secure the services of a contract lawyer or paralegal.  Tim will see if he can find a paralegal to help.  Of special import is the contingency if Mincom goes under.

 

Heidi needs to get an Equipment List to Debra for all the Equipment that RMOUG owns.

 

Ron Bich and Michael Fons have been working on e-mail updates via the RMOUG Web Site.  The Board felt that we needed to review security issues before implementing the system.  E-mail addresses will be required for membership and renewals will not be made until we get the e-mail address.

 

Ron also reported that the registration for Training Days 2003 is ready to be tested.  All Board Members should register.  They need to check PO#, and then put “Board Member” in the space for the PO#.

 

C.     Report by Allison Leech and Tim Gorman

Allison Leech reported that the AITP Student Chapter is helping us sponsor the November 15th Meeting at the Metro State College of Denver’s Tivoli.  We will have two rooms, the Turnhall and a smaller room upstairs that will hold about 30 people.  Catering is only $7.50 per person, which is a lot less than catering at the hotels.  Senware is sponsoring the Breakfast/Mid-morning Break.  Metro State College of Denver is sponsoring the Afternoon Break.  Any logos need to be sent to Heidi for the flyer with a .jpg version for the web site.  New Sponsorship signs need to be made up for the meeting.  Allison will work with Heidi on the wording of the flyer.  The flyer needs to state that the Tivoli Parking Lot is the only one that parking will be reimbursed for.  AITP Student chapter has purchased 250 tickets at $4 each to be reimbursed by RMOUG.  Tickets will be distributed to each registrant on the day of the meeting.  Allison has sent a request to Gary Dodge to provide the LCD projector.  Elizabeth Boss said she could provide the second projector.  The University Bookstore plans on having a table with appropriate books available either at the meeting location or inside their own bookstore.  Softpro is unable to attend this meeting.

 

A discussion ensued about Visitors.  Metro/AITP members will attend the meeting for free.  The Board listened to the plan to have two “pure IT perspective” joint RMOUG/AITP sessions in the morning then two RMOUG-specific and two AITP-specific sessions in the afternoon, concurrently.  If we are unable to find two “pure IT perspective” joint RMOUG/AITP sessions for the morning, then the Board suggested considering holding only one such joint session in the morning and then holding three RMOUG-specific and three AITP-specific sessions in the late morning and afternoon afterwards.

 

Because the announce-only list server has not been developed/tested, it was decided that the November 15th Meeting will be sent via US Post Office.

 

D.     Report by Rich Baca

Rich Baca reported that RMOUG needs to develop a policy concerning non-RMOUG members.  Past RMOUG Members who are unemployed would like to volunteer.  There are several issues involved with non-RMOUG Members volunteering, being a Board Member at Large, and attending meetings as guests or visitors.

 

The Board felt that it would be a good idea to have Board Guests allowed at meetings.  A new member packet will be available to them.  The Board felt that this would be a good way to promote the group without it being overly abused.  A Guest name badge will be provided.

 

Rich will get input from the Diane Ambrose, the Membership Chair and will draft a proposed policy to send to the Board.

 

Rich also reported that nominations will be due before the next Board Meeting.  He needs a name and a few sentences on why they would be worth of the awards.  He needs nominations for:

 

Doug Faughnan Award

IOUG Volunteer of the Year Award

Other – anything the Board feels needs special recognition (Optional)

 

E.      Report by Stan Yellott

Stan Yellott reported that he has put together a Calendar for Board Meeting and RMOUG events for through May 2004.  Because Jenny cannot make Monday evening Board Meetings, it was decided to change them to Tuesday.  Stan will put together a new calendar.

 

III.  ADOPTION OF DOCUMENTS/PLANS.

 

A.  The motion to move forward with making a contract with Mincom for hosting Information Services to RMOUG was adopted by a majority vote of the Directors.

 

IV.  NEXT MEETING.  The next meeting of the Board of Directors will be held on December 17, 2002, at 4:30, at a place to be determined.

 

There being no further business, the meeting was duly adjourned.

 

_______________________________________

Debra Addeo

Secretary