RMOUG Minutes 10-12-2004






A regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the above corporation was held on October 12, 2004 at 5:00 p.m. at Englewood, Colorado.


I.  QUORUM.  A quorum was declared present based on the presence of the following Directors:


Tim Gorman

Chip Briggs

Ron Bich

Candi Hoxworth

Allison Leech

Stanley Yellott


Conference Call–in:

Peggy King


Also in attendance:

Andi Blackwell

Lilly Croke

Katharyn Sindt

Barbara Lewis




The following corporate actions were taken by appropriate motions duly made, seconded, and adopted by the majority vote of the Directors entitled to vote (unless a higher voting approval is stated).





A.  Report by Allison Leech.

Allison reported that she and Stan want to give presentations to New Horizons and Pine Creek High Schools.   She has contacted Ed Ralston with New Horizons but has not heard back yet.  For the 3 scholarships to CSU-Peublo, she would like to extend a personal invite for the meeting in November and take the recipients to lunch at RMOUG’s expense.


The next RMOUG General Meeting has been changed to Nov. 19th so it can be held at the Oracle Building.  So far, she has two presentations, one from Brad Brown and one from Kent Graziano.  Kent has offered to fill in any gaps from other presentations.  Allison would like to send out teaser for the meeting so people have time to prepare.  She will also make sure there is A/V equipment for the meeting.


B.  Report Peggy King.

Peggy King reported that she has the schedule for TD 2005 along with alternates.  Linda will be sending out an e-mail and get confirmations from the speakers.  Most speakers have two presentations and some have three.  Conference cards will go out the week of October 25th.  YCC has their on-line registrations ready to go.  The next meeting will be held the first part of November for selection of giveaways at the conference.  Peggy will have either an ad or article for the next RMOUG Newsletter.  She would like to have a pie chart with costs and an advertisement for the upcoming Training Days.


Veritas has agreed to sponsor $7,000 towards the reception on Wednesday night.  For keynote speakers, Peggy is checking to see if we can set up one technical and one non-technical speaker.  The sessions will run from 9:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. both days.  There will be two ½ hour breaks with snacks and an Internet Café in the Vendor Hall.  Peggy will get with the Convention Center to find out what rules they have for computer usage.


C.  Report Stan Yellott.

Stan Yellott reported that he has four Newsletter articles for the next issue.  Three of those are from the same source.  He wants to get caught up with the Newsletter.  He will be sending out e-mails to previous article writers to see if they have any articles to submit.  The next newsletter should be out in mid-December.  The next newsletter is targeted to be out the first to middle part of February.   It generally takes three to three and a half months to produce a newsletter.  He would like to shorten this.


Stan would like a newsletter article from Peggy and also another Board Member to submit an article.   Ron volunteered to submit an article for a Board Member slot in the next newsletter.


Currently there are only 4 or 5 sponsors for ads.  He will try to get more.  Stan wants a staple of articles to have on hand.  He will use some articles from Select Magazine.  He will also check with Kate Freeman about an exchange of Newsletter Ads.


D.  Report Ron Bich.

Ron Bich reported that Lilly and Andi are the new project managers for the Members-Only web site.  RMOUG has purchased a change management system which is being used by IS.  Approx. 10 users of the 20 user license are in use. There are two generic user ID’s and Ron can send these out to the Board to use.  He can provide ID’s to other Board Members if they plan on using the tool.  This tool can be used to track non IS change management for RMOUG.  This can be set up for anonymous submission and upgraded to a bigger user license later.


Ron needs volunteers for website.  There are four open slots.  Ron will put together an e-mail to go out with the job positions.  RMOUG would prefer the volunteers to be current RMOUG Members.


E.  Report Tim Gorman.

Tim Gorman reported that Chris Ostrowski had a contact from the Air Force Academy to re-start PPOUG.  He spoke to Mike Morneau, but Mike is no longer involved with Oracle.


Tim also reported that Heidi has sent a membership count of 1101.  The Board felt we need to focus on the North and South for membership.


Tim visited the Swift building.  It has a beautiful lobby and would be perfect for a meeting.  Jeff Meyer would like to host two meetings a year with an expected attendance of 40—60 people.  Catering will have to be worked out.  Stan suggested a zip code reading for memberships.  There are about 60 members north of Boulder.


Tim would like to have a goal of holding one meeting in the South and one meeting in the North before May.  RMOUG’s key role is to provide speakers.


Tim has received a request for a donation from Dr. Paul Dorsey from the pre-eclampsia foundation.  Dr. Dorsey asked for $48,000 to buy hardware.  Tim said we wouldn’t be able to donate that much.  Tim wanted to know if RMOUG would be interested in a $500 donation.  Ron suggested we need approval from the membership, so the Board will bring this up at the November General Meeting.


A discussion ensued about RMOUG’s Not-for-Profit Corporation status.  Under the current 501C6 status, we are considered a Trade Group.  The Board felt it might be worth looking into what it takes to become a Non-Profit group.  Tim will ask our bookkeeper as a first step, then maybe talk to a lawyer if the cost is below $500.00


F.  Report Chip Briggs.

Chip Briggs reported that RMOUG is approximately $14,000 in the hole for this fiscal year.  This is a combination of the IRS taking a fraction from last fiscal year’s profit and also earlier expenses associated with Training Days 2005.  RMOUG did not spend as much money on Newsletters in 2003-2004.  Stan asked if we are actually $24,000 in the hole.  Everyone was not sure if this was correct.  Tim asked Chip to prepare a Profit and Loss statement for all of last fiscal year, both corporate and TD.






A.   The motion to have someone investigate what it would take for RMOUG to become a Non-Profit organization was passed by a majority vote of the Board or Directors.



IV.  NEXT MEETING.  The next meeting of the Board of Directors will be held on Nov 19th at 7:00 a.m. at the Oracle Building.


There being no further business, the meeting was duly adjourned.





Robin Reed