RMOUG Minutes 1-15-2004

 MINUTES OF THE

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING

OF

ROCKY MOUNTAIN ORACLE USERS GROUP

 

A regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the above corporation was held on January 15, 2004 at 4:35 p.m. at Englewood, Colorado.

 

I.  QUORUM.  A quorum was declared present based on the presence of the following Directors:

 

Tim Gorman

Rick Hata

Bill Schwartzkopf

Ron Bich

Dan Fink

Peggy King

 

Conference Call In:

Dank Fink

Mike Fons

 

Also in Attendance:

Katharyn Sindt

 

The following corporate actions were taken by appropriate motions duly made, seconded, and adopted by the majority vote of the Directors entitled to vote (unless a higher voting approval is stated).

 

II.  REPORTS.

 

A.  Report by Tim Gorman.

Tim Gorman reported the Douglas County Sheriff’s office has given us a case number for the incident where our secure server was hacked into.  It is difficult to track down and RMOUG doesn’t expect a resolution, it is more of a “White Hat” incident that we want recorded.  Rick Garland no longer works for Mincom and he has been our primary contact.  We need to find out Mincom’s plans in how they will support us and how we can prevent our servers from getting compromised again.  RMOUG is liable if information is lost.  The legal ramifications are punitive if we don’t take safety measures.

 

Tim felt that we need to learn from this incident and improve our site security.  Ron Bich will look into this with regard to website security and will send information to the Board.  He will also look into the cost of having someone audit the system.

 

Tim also reported that the Non Disclosure Agreement has been passed by a 6-0 vote in favor.  The NDA makes plain what is expected of volunteers and board members with respect to the protection of member privacy.  The main reason we have this is that people volunteering for RMOUG will have access to our secure server and we need to have strong ethical guidelines.  All Board Members, Board Members at Large, and IS Volunteers need to read through and sign.

 

 

B.  Report Peggy King.

Peggy King reported that the Training Days Planning Committee met and chose canvas bags.  There will be two more meetings and the one next week will be a conference call.

 

The Volunteer shirts will be burgundy button down.

 

So far, there have been a total of 694 registration for Training Days 2004.  Of those, 612 have paid.  We are estimating a total of 776 attendees.  The registration timeline was discussed.  The Board felt it might be good to give people a full two months to register for Training Days.

 

Last year Training Days was held in March so we need to consider this when looking at the numbers.  The Denver Convention Center gave two options for next year’s conference.  We will target for March but we have to commit to later if we want it later.

 

Peggy’s budget shows New RMOUG Member Fees on it, but this will go to the general treasury.  She felt there would be a deficit of between $2000 – $6000.  With the adjustment in registrations and bag sponsorship, it will be around $2000.  The Board will send a grant request to IOUG-A to see if they will help with the cost.  We will also see if IOUG wants any material stuffed in the conference bags.

 

The Board wanted to know if RMOUG will have a booth at Training Days.  All the Board Members will rotate and take turns at the booth.

 

Peggy also said that the AV fees for Training Days are up $4000 over last year.

 

Stan Yellott is currently sponsoring 12 TD attendees from Pine Creek High School.  He is hoping to have some corporate sponsorship to help.  One student from Regis is coming on their own with a discount.

 

There are 68 papers in the Proceedings Manual.  There are a total of 90 presentations.  The Speaker Ready Room will be #A102.  RMOUG will order 100-110 printed Proceeding Manuals.

 

There are adequate registration volunteers.  There are 9 Track Coordinators needed, 1 per room.  Peggy felt we may need help with the Track Coordinators.

 

Peggy would like Board Members to introduce the 90 minute sessions.  The responsibility of the introducer is to contact the presenter and get some information about them.

 

There will be a mass email sent to Board Members, Track Coordinators, Volunteers, and Speakers inviting them to dinner.

 

C.  Report by Rick Hata.

Rick Hata reported that it is time to nominate for the Doug Faughnan Award.  We recognize that this person is a huge contributor and significant volunteer to RMOUG over several years.  They receive a lifetime membership to RMOUG.  Stan Yellott will receive the Doug Faughnan Award at Training Days 2004.

 

The IOUG-A Volunteer of the Year award is given to someone who has contributed to the group over the past year.  Rick Hata will send an e-mail out for this.  All responses need to go to Rick by Close of Business on January 23rd.

 

 

III.  NEXT MEETING.  The next meeting of the Board of Directors will be held on March 4, at 4:30, at a place to be determined.

 

There being no further business, the meeting was duly adjourned.

 

 

 

_______________________________________

Bill Schwartzkopf

Secretary